The Mathews Practice History
The Practice was established in 1884, when Dr Robert Huey Mathews, the son of a county Antrim farmer moved to Sheffield with his 2 brothers. He set up his first surgery on London Road and the practice was born.
Dr Mathews was succeeded by his son and grandson and was joined by a number of other doctors, some related and some not.
In 1993, the last Dr Mathews retired from the practice, ending a 109-year family tradition. The practice was renamed by the current partnership in 2009 in memory of this remarkable family of General Practitioners.
The Practice cares for just over 10,000 patients across 2 sites – Belgrave and White Lane Medical Centres.
The Practice has provided a continuity of care for over 125 years, through 2 world wars, the creation of the NHS and various other challenges. Throughout this time, the Practice has always maintained patient-care as its central focus and continues this ethos by looking to the future and operating as a GP Training Practice to ensure that the highest standard of patient-centred care continues to be passed to the next generation.
We offer a number of clinics and specialist services as outlined on the Clinics and Services page; at the Belgrave site, we have a dedicated theatre for minor operations and are committed to providing our patients with the very best in NHS patient care.